Thursday, August 03, 2006

I Knew It Was a Good Idea. Or, She Drowned in Self-Pity

Why, oh why did I not carry out my plan to torch the place a month ago when I first dreamed it up?

I'm suddenly in full-blown exploding head stage once again. This time, however, it's a combination of things:

1. My friend Starrlett just keeps coming up with more interesting stories, cool sites, fun "timewasters," and just plain-weird oddities on the Web, all of which I want to check out and few of which I ever do. If I can't even look at what she's already found, how on earth does she find it all in the first place, and make it look so easy in the process? Also, I see one of her cool finds like What's That Bug? and it makes me think of stories I want to share on my own blog, but don't really have time to be sharing right now (or maybe you've all heard about my brush with bedbugs, in which case I don't need to share).

2. It's 1:50 am, I must find a critical item before 9:30 in the morning (and also get some sleep before then), and I believe it is somewhere in the rat's nest of stuff (all belonging to me) that came out of the "guest" bedroom when we had company visit in June and ended up in various trash bags and laundry baskets in the garage. I'm too ashamed and embarrassed to tell you about everything contained in the bags and baskets. Let's just say that the situation is grim.

3. I wanted to look up a word in the dictionary a few minutes ago, but had to resort to Merriam-Webster Online after I determined that I could not physically reach the dictionary on the bookshelf in my bedroom because there are too many obstacles in the way.

4. I'm really starting to get nervous about the job search, and it's sort of been consuming my thoughts the past 36 hours or so. That leaves little room in my brain for processing the necessary tasks of daily life. This in turn leads to the "exploding head" feeling. I know temporary unemployment is not an uncommon occurrence, but I just realized that I have been steadily employed for the last 14 years. As someone who craves stability and tries very hard to avoid personal risk-taking, facing even a day of unemployment is frightening.

So, does anyone have a bigger brain they can send me? Or perhaps a bigger bedroom? Or maybe just a stronger back or a stiffer upper-lip to replace mine.

1 comment:

Starrlett said...

1. It's easier when you've got a regular schedule, aren't in school, and don't work a public service desk all the time. Which means, come fall and my class(es), my blog may suffer. :)

2. I hear you, sister. No one is alllowed to enter either of my two spare bedrooms at the moment, for health reasons. As in, your health is at risk because something big, heavy, and ridiculous may fall on your head if you open the door.

3. I hear you again. I tried to deep-clean my bedroom for months, and ended up only succeeding once I had to remove every single item to paint it. And now there's crap in it again. Sigh...

4. Oh heck yes, I was panicked, and I didn't even have an option of moving anywhere. I myself am very much a fan of stable income and a regular, planned life--which is why, I think, God delights in putting me in uncertain, risky situations. Some peopl might say that's to teach me faith--I think it's also because God's got a sense of humor, too. (Although, apparently, it's not the same as mine.)

I'd send you my own brain, but if I won't do me any good, it probably won't help you. I had issues typing "documents" this morning--and, um, I'm a documents librarian. Yikes.