OK, this really bothers me:
Phoning a public service phone number in another department at the UNT Libraries, and the staff member who answers does not give his or her name. It is very frustrating to not know with whom I am speaking. The department head? Some flunkie who isn't likely to be able to help me? I would like to know the staff member's name so I know how to best frame my question. And I feel so rude asking, "to whom am I speaking?" (but I still ask anyway).
I know that library employees are often wary of putting their name on a nametag or telling their name to people in case they might attract a stalker. If that's the case, they shouldn't be working in a public service profession. Besides, giving out your first name isn't likely to cause earth-shattering repercussions.
So come on, just tell me who you are, please. I told you my name!
No comments:
Post a Comment