Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Card Carrier

I'm usually happy to rush home and collapse in front of the TV after work, but last night, I instead exercised my mind and signed up for a library card in Rowlett.

Rowlett is adjacent to the city in which I live, and I know you find it hard to believe that I didn't already have a card there, since I have cards in three other adjacent cities. But, I didn't. In fact, I had never even visited the Rowlett library until last night.

It's very cute, a small building, with nice furniture, lovely art displays, and a cheerful look about it. I stink at spatial estimation, but I would say it's somewhere between 6,000-9,000 square feet.

One interesting thing is that the nonfiction media (DVD's and videos) appear to be intershelved with the books, all in their appropriate subject area. Libraries usually segregate the two, so I thought this was interesting. Makes no difference to me personally, since I could find them either way, but I think it's a great idea for people who are browsing.

With acquisition of my Rowlett card, that brings to 14 the total number of North Texas libraries of which I am, or have been, a card-carrying patron.

3 comments:

Starrlett said...

14--that's an impressive number!

Their library sounds very interesting; I ought to make a point of visiting it sometime. I love the concept of intershelving nonfiction media with books. It brings to mind a conversation I had today with V about oversized media and the eternal dilemma of where to put it and what to do with it. I just hate not being able to shelve a book in its probper place, simply because it's enormous.

Anonymous said...

Something's not right here! You have 14, while I have none. At $80/year for a decent library, I'm never sure when I'm going to be home for a long enough stretch to make it worth the investment. I've paid the money in the past and then been gone for half the time. So in the meantime, B&N and Borders are getting rich as I become poorer.
L

Auntie K said...

Oh, L. I am sorry I was so thoughtless about your situation, of which I am aware, when I posted. I didn't mean to boast. When I lived in "prison town," I used the local library but also paid $25 a year to use the library in a neighboring county. But there's a big difference between $25 and $80. I think the Lovelies need to combine resources and gift you with the appropriate card for a year. That way, you won't feel too guilty if you go weeks without using it.