Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Ugh

Starr and I have previously discussed the disgusting nature of public access computer keyboards. Now, I can go even one better. How about the disgusting nature of public access computer monitors?

Yes, after nearly a year at the library, I've finally had a run-in with pornography on a public computer. Now, I'm not talking about people looking at pictures of scantily clad women on MySpace or a dating site. That happens too frequently for me to bother about.

No, what I saw today was full-out obscenity, on a 15" monitor. Looking at such stuff in a public place violates Texas Penal Code. It also violates computer use policy at UNT and at the UNT Libraries, though it's hard to figure out exactly how (illegal activities or failure to comply with laws is my guess. Pornography isn't against the law, but if you're violating the Texas Penal Code...).

Luckily, I didn't have to confront the offender myself. I just called Circulation and had them do the dirty work. On the lucky staff member's first pass, he didn't see anything beyond Google.com on the computer monitor. A few minutes later, however, he approached from another direction and apparently saw enough to stop and talk to the person, who left the building a few minutes later. As the staff member walked past me on his way out of the room, he commented, "I really didn't need to see that."

And I did?

2 comments:

Starrlett said...

This is quite the day for unpleasantness in library-land, apparently--reading the Happyville Library blog this morning, I read about two fecal and one blood incident in that library in the same day.

I'm suddenly really, really glad that I don't work in a public library. Particularly in Happyville.

http://libraryosis.blogspot.com/

Auntie K said...

Double Ugh!