I'm happy to report that reality lived up to the prediction. Here's the finished pie:

And here's another picture so you get a better feel for what we mean by "mile high"
The author said that she made the filling extra lemon-y to compensate for the abundant meringue. The taste testers at our house thought it was a bit too lemon-y. However, the meringue (made with hot sugar syrup as in candymaking), truly is weep-free, even after a day in the refrigerator. All in all, I would say the experiment was a success. Great pie, Mom!Hmm - maybe I should turn this into a dessert blog. A dessert a day. Doesn't that sound yummy?
5 comments:
Oh, my gosh. My mouth has never watered this much before over a photograph. This was my favorite dessert period as a kid, and still is my favorite pie (well, it's tied with key-lime pie--oh wait, strawberry pie--dangit, three-way tie!).
It always amazes me to make meringue. It's like magic. With food.
It's hard to pick a favorite when it comes to food, isn't it? As for lemon meringue being your favorite, I'll take that under advisement, it being close to July and all. ;-)
Thanks for the nice comments on the pie, Auntie K! Sorry about the pucker-power of the filling but I had to go all the way with the recipe. Next time :), I'll use another, less acidic, recipe for the filling. I thought maybe Ann Landers's famous recipe of a number of years ago--touted to be "the best"--might fill the bill, but I remembered that it has vinegar in it and, as I recall, you can taste (maybe it was my imagination) it and that puts me off my feed even to think about it. Fortunately, we don't lack for recipe sources in this house!
M.
Yeah, well, my 12 year-old neice made key lime bars (a spin on lemon bars) last night that would kick yo mamma's pie in the kisser. Too bad I still can't boil water...
Mmmm. Key lime bars does sound pretty good. Not sure they could top the pie, but...
And as for lady.author not even boiling water, she does order a mean take-out.
Post a Comment