I was thinking a few days ago about how librarians often bemoan the lack of respect and recognition we receive outside the library. I mean, we all know how common is the question, "You need a degree do to that?"
Yes, you do. A librarian is a degreed professional with specialized skills and training.
I think, however, that we often contribute to the situation through our own actions. One recent Friday, I encountered a typical question from at least three patrons I worked with at the reference desk. All three were working on papers and having trouble finding appropriate resources. After I worked with each, they all voiced some variation of the question, "How do you do all of this? It's so amazing that you look stuff up and make it look so easy." I, in an effort to put them at ease and encourage them, replied each time in an off-hand way, "Oh, I get a lot of practice."
I get a lot of PRACTICE!? Well, by saying that, I reinforced the image of the librarian as nothing special, just someone who hangs out in the library a lot but who doesn't have any qualification beyond a fondness for books. As if to say, "If you too sat here long enough, you could do what I do."
What I should have said is, "Yes, it can be difficult and overwhelming. But I've been to school to learn how to do all of this. In fact, librarians have masters degrees in library science. And that's why we're here--to help everyone else, just like a doctor or a lawyer helps you answer medical or legal questions."
Often, we really are our own worst enemy.
No comments:
Post a Comment