Well, some of you are aware that I did not discuss payment details with my employers before I began animal sitting last weekend. I wasn't certain I would see the employers immediately upon their return, and was thus a bit anxious about when I might be paid.
However, everything turned out just beautifully. I arrived at the house on Sunday afternoon to check on everyone (I had been at choir practice) just as the homeowners arrived home from their trip.
Immediately, the mistress said that she needed to pay me before I left, and she exited the room and returned to hand me some cash. As she gave it to me, she said that she hoped it would be enough. I assured her that it would, and promptly put the money in my pocket, thinking it bad form to inspect it in front of her, particularly since we had never discussed actual rates. I could see a $100 bill however, so I figured I would be fine.
Well, imagine my elation when I inspected the wad in the car and realized she had handed me not one $100 bill, nor even two $100 bills.
Yes, that's right. I earned $300 for my weekend of toil!
I think the only time I have ever handled a $100 bill was when I cashiered at Minyard Food Store many years ago. I've certainly never had three of them in my possession. Luckily, my personal banker offered to go out the next morning and convert them to more practical denominations (thanks, Dad).
To top off the story, earlier in the week I received the $100 stipend check (minus taxes) I earned for working at my school's exhibit booth at the Texas Library Association conference in April.
All of this means, to a poor hourly wage-earner like myself, that I'm rich!
Oh wait. That's not true. My new digital camera also arrived last week. Coincidentally, it cost nearly the same amount as what I earned on the two extra jobs. Easy come, easy go.
But I am having fun learning how to use the new camera.
2 comments:
You know, this new camera means you need a Flickr account.
So I can have another arena in which to leave comments for you. :)
I agree, Starrlett. One thing at a time, however. I'll keep everyone posted.
Post a Comment