Monday, July 17, 2006

What's the Deal? Part 1

Regular readers might have noticed the debut of two new sidebar items last week: Currently Eating and Previously Eaten. Here's a (not so short) explanation, to be published in two parts.

As you may know, I am valiantly trying to retrench. (If you're not sure what that means, check here.) I am not much for reading the diet book du jour. I mean after all, I know the basics: whole foods, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean protein sources, little red meat or saturated fat or sugar, expend more calories than you consume, etc. Nonetheless, I obviously need help sticking to such a lifestyle. This time around, I'm following the advice in Miriam Nelson's Strong Women Stay Slim.

Nelson's book combines common-sense, research-backed advice on weight lifting, aerobic exercise, and healthful eating as a way for women to lose or maintain weight, improve health, and increase bone mass. The book contains an eating plan based on 1200, 1600, or 2000 calories a day; each level includes a certain number of servings or "portions." For example, on the 1600 calories a day plan, I should be eating the following portions each day: 4 grain, 5 vegetable, 3 fruit, 5 protein, 2 dairy, 6 extra. (That's not exactly correct - I did it from memory, but you get the point.) Anyway, you can see that such a plan requires one to keep track of what she eats.

Hence, I started keeping a food diary last week. More to follow in Part Two of this post.

2 comments:

Starrlett said...

I'm curious--are the three different calorie levels based on amount of weight you desire to lose, or beginning body weight/mass, or what?

I'm being very good, btw--after my last-week's indulgence of a coke-with-lime every single day, this week I've so far had none, and am attempting to get my caffeine intake, when needed, from coffee beans. zzzZZZzzz...

Auntie K said...

Yes, if you want to lose less than 100 lbs, you're on the 1600 cal/day plan, if you want to lose more than 100 or just maintain current weight, you're on the 2000/day plan. I think the only people who are supposed to be on 1200/cals a day are those who are coming off a restricted-calorie diet. We know that's not me!