Friday, July 07, 2006

Glad to be Me

My friend Sarah blogged on a related theme this week (from a patriotic perspective), but I thought I would take a quick break out of my afternoon's work to record my observation on a certain truth. I know my thoughts aren't original, so I hope I they don't seem too hackneyed.

Truth: If you are ever feeling sorry for yourself and your lot in life, just spend a minute with someone else and his problems. If you are like me, you will always walk away glad to have your own problems instead of someone else's.

This is one of the +'s of working as a (soon-to-be) reference librarian. I have never helped anyone at work with whom I would trade places. Take, for instance, the returning student studying to take a skills assessment test tomorrow, who came to me agonizing over her study guide's advice about the serial comma. The study guide is poorly written, and its inadequate examples obscure the issue and do more harm than good. I've talked with said student before, and I know just enough about her situation to know that I would never wish to trade places with her. I'll take my own set of worries, shortcomings, and disappointments, as discouraging as they sometimes seem.

2 comments:

The Back Lot said...

How true, how true. Although I do wish I sometimes had the "problems" of, say, Angelina Jolie or the current "Bennifer." Boo freakin' hoo!

Auntie K said...

You do have a point, lady.author.