Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Stupid Idea or Innovation?

Do you know that someone now makes light-up knitting needles? I saw them in a Mary Maxim catalog last week and made fun of them. I mean, I don't think of Mary Maxim as being particularly high-end. But today, I got an e-mail from Patternworks advertising the same thing. Supposedly, one can use them to knit in the dark.

I went over to Knitter's Review to see if anyone's talking about these in the forums. I found one item that you might want to read (if this sort of stuff interests you).

All I have to say is, they're pricey. And they probably get hot with those lights in them. I think if I'm spending that much money for needles, I might as well get some cool, sleek Addi Turbos.

5 comments:

Starrlett said...

Ooo, the name "Addi Turbos" is neat. I can already see the shiny sleekness.

I'm guessing the light-up needles use LEDs, so they probably wouldn't get very hot. But the whole selling point of being able to knit during movie previews, under the stars, in the tunnel of love... pretty darned funny.

Then again, I probably don't have the privilege to laugh at anything knitting-related, considering I started trying to learn sometime in 1995 and gave up by 1996. The best I ever did was some mean finger-knitting in fifth and sixth grade (is it a pun to say I was "hooked?")--I festooned my Christmas tree for several years with a knitted, variegated red/green/white garland about twenty feet long.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if that vareigated yarn had more of a "go Italy!" theme than a "Merry Christmas" one. Hmmm.

(It's a bad sign, btw, when my comments on your blog are longer than my posts on my own.)

Auntie K said...

Oh, good point about the LED's. Wasn't I the one extolling their virtues just last week?

As for the knitting, it's never to late to try again ;)

As for the Italian/Christmas unidentified object, it's still in about the same state as when I posted its picture. I better hurry, or my little nephew-to-be will be without a Christmas stocking!

Anonymous said...

As you know, my mind is never far from the vicinity of knitting and I've thought about those light-up needles. And the more I think, the more suited they seem to Mary Maxim. I'm sure they're heavy and cheap and the lights are just a gimick. I can now watch television while I knit and I've even done a bit in a movie, but I'm not to the reading level yet. What it takes is determination---not LED lights from Mary Maxim! L.

the duchess said...

Oh no. Please don't say that too loudly or else my Aunt will hear. She already knits at the movie theater and restaurants-wherever she may have a spare moment. It's awful. I can see her knitting in a dark, crowded theater if she got bored with the plot line.

Auntie K said...

But sk, that's a knitter's dream, to be fully engaged in knitting and a second activity at the same time! I myself aspire to read and knit at the same time. Of course, that means I would have to actually knit...