Friday, July 07, 2006

I Doubt It

It's a bit old, but I just read an interesting article about the flip-flop, that universally-loved footwear item. Much of the article focuses on the possible inadvisability of wearing flip-flops to work. At the end, however, an industry consultant is quoted as saying that she thinks the flop-flop trend has "reached the peak, they can't be any more widespread, so maybe next summer something will replace them."

Tell that to all the high school and college students around the country. Most of them wear flip-flops year-round. Regardless of what the experts say, I predict that the flip-flop is here to stay.

How many pairs do you own?

6 comments:

Starrlett said...

Oddly enough, I only own two pairs at the moment--that's including my super-spiffy black ones with the flowers on them. But I thought her statement was odd, too--um, I remember wearing flipflops in the 80's. Over two decades ago. So much for a fad.

Here's UNT's version of the article:
http://web2.unt.edu/news/story.cfm?story=9872

Auntie K said...

Thanks for the link, Starrlett. Maybe the jetsetters will be on to something new by '08, but I doubt the college crowd will be.

Auntie K said...

I myself have only one pair of "real" flip-flops that I wear with any regularity. Two if you count my beloved leather ones from Eddie Bauer.

The Back Lot said...

1 pair of Locals from Hawaii--flat, 1 pair of blue J-Crew--chunky, 1 pair of forest green--chunky, 1 pair of purple--flat, 1 pair of floral--flat. I guess that's only five. I thought I had more. Love 'em. Love love love. Wearing my green ones right now...with a pink & green skirt. So dang cute I can't stand myself!

the duchess said...

I've finally found a topic I feel qualified to speak on. I have 12 pair of slippers (aka flip-flops). I'm stunned you only have one "real" pair. We must remedy that.

Auntie K said...

I should have known that some of my readers would be highly qualified to speak about this topic. Notice, however, that only the 20-30 something crowd has chimed in.