Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Did You Know That . . .

a peanut butter and jam sandwich doesn't taste very fresh 24 hours after it's made, even if it's been kept in a zipper-sealed plastic bag? Both the peanut butter and the jam start to soak into the bread, making for a dry sandwich.

another name for the number or pound sign # is octothorpe? Depending upon who you read, the name was made up by a Bell Labs employee in the 1960's, or is a term printers used to use for the symbol. I ran across this term today in a CSS design book.

7 comments:

Adam said...

You are correct about the peanut butter and jam sandwich. You can replace the jam with honey and the sandwich will keep much longer. The honey soaking into the bread makes for a moist sandwich. Granted, you'll probably have to like peanut butter and honey sandwiches to try this one out.

Auntie K said...

Great idea, A2. Of course, if I didn't leave the sandwich in my lunch bag for 24 hours, that might also help. I do love pb and honey, probably more than pbj, but I haven't eaten one in years. Hmm.

Starrlett said...

I think the jam-soaking depends on humidity level, as well (either environment-humidity, or lunchbag-humidity)--I've had some pb-n-j's stay moist for a day or two, under the right conditions.

I've also kept a pb-n-honey sandwich under conditions where the honey actually crystalized and hardened the bread. That was pretty odd. But I also like those, because they tend to be a little less messy (in terms of sandwich-content-gushing on fingers/table/clothing) than the pb-n-j version.

Starrlett said...

Oh, also--love the "currently eating" up--looks good! And I love the links--you know how I love links. :)

I'm curious--since you're posting this in the sidebar, will it be regularly archived, or is it more of an ephemeral list? And isn't it great that I got to use the word "ephemeral" in context? Regarding food? And blogs?

Auntie K said...

Who knew that an idle question abt pbj would generate such discussion? Yes, I've fallen victim to the crystallized honey scenario before. And interesting to note that Starrlett thinks pbh is neater than pbj, because I always thought the exact opposite. When I pack a pbh, the honey seems to ooze out of the sandwich. What a controversial topic!

Auntie K said...

A2, I didn't know you are such a pb sandwich expert. Did Mrs. A2 contribute advice, or was this your original thinking (just curious)?

Auntie K said...

Don't you have a fancy vocabulary, Starrlett? Check a future post for more about the "currently eating" sidebar.