Monday, July 10, 2006

Accountability

My friend Sarah has a personal trainer whom she e-mails every day with a list of what she's eaten during the day. How's that for accountability?

Sarah's dedication has inspired me to make yet another attempt at retrenchment. I have also been spurred on by the cold realization (not a surprise, mind you), that my Body Mass Index is less than one index point away from categorizing me as "obese." So, at this point, I would be happy to just move back down to the low end of "overweight," much less into the "healthy" zone.

Now, I don't want to turn this into a diet blog or a fitness blog, but maybe there is a way I can use the blog to make myself more accountable for my actions and inaction. I know you don't want to read my daily food diary (it might give you nightmares), so I'll have to think about another way to do it. If you have a suggestion (no sarcasm allowed), let me know.

7 comments:

The Back Lot said...

I think it's a great idea. I am all for it if you think it would help. Plus, I enjoy learning what other people are eating. I get caught in a food rut sometimes & need inspiration to break out. Last night I actually cooked! I made "bacon & cheese inside-out turkey burgers." Good, good stuff!

Starrlett said...

Here's a brief article about 'diet blogging:' http://www.health.com/health/article/0,23414,1148400,00.html

I think it's a fantastic idea. I think you could keep track of your food on the blog and still not make it the focus by using a little "fill in the blanks" block of code labeled "I'm currently eating..." similar to the "I'm currently reading/watching/listening to" sections on many people's blogs. I went online looking for a handy form for this for you, but haven't found any food-specific ones yet.

[I just grabbed some code from MySpace and will fashion you one you can use if you want; I'll email it to your work account in a few minutes.]

Auntie K said...

You guys are so great!

the duchess said...

I'm so proud of you! Perhaps once I've recovered from the trauma of the latest fitness test I took last week I'll blog about it. Due to the public humiliation factor it will make your BMI discovery pale in comparison.

Auntie K said...

Must be pretty bad then, if it's worse than my discovery! You'll notice, however, that I did not actually share my actual weight or BMI. Though if you take a guess at how tall I am, and look at the table, you could make an educated guess about my weight.

Starrlett said...

I will say, though, that BMI also isn't the end-all, be-all for determining health and appropriate weight. I've got a small frame (even for my height), and my man's got a large frame, which makes both of our BMI's skew strangely. There have been times when I've been obviously chunky in areas and the BMI still states "underweight," which is ridiculous, and Alex can have a fairly high BMI and just be muscle-y.

But then, I'm always one to argue with rules. :)

Auntie K said...

True, Starrlett. Take for instance, the very issue of weight v. health v. appearance: often, the three are not at all related. I personally don't much care what the scale says as long as I think I am fit and healthy. Unfortunately, I am neither right now.