Saturday, September 02, 2006

Who Knew? (A Link-Happy Post)

Went to the Half Price mothership store this week in search of Get on the Ball and any of the Cook's Illustrated Best Recipe books (tried to give you a link to the magazine itself, but their server is down).

Struck out on both of those, of course, but came home with a few board books for Curly, a Nancy Drew (The Clue in the Diary, where she meets hunky Ned Nickerson), and The Best of Dr. Seuss.

If I had to compile three books for a best of Dr. Seuss volume, they would be Hop on Pop, Green Eggs and Ham, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas! But, no one asked me, so this volume contains The Cat in the Hat, The Cat in the Hat Comes Back, and Dr. Seuss's ABC.

Turns out, I don't like The Cat in the Hat (oh, did I say that aloud? Does it make me un-American?). It's way too chaotic and out of control for me. The Cat comes in and turns the house into a total disaster zone, almost as if he had evil intentions. Yeah, he puts it right before the mother comes home, but that doesn't make what he did ok.

The other interesting thing about this book is that it was published in England, so that it refers to "Dad's £7 shoes."

Incidentally, if you've never perused Dr. Seuss's wartime political cartoons (or even if you have), be sure to check out this exhibition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree about The Cat in the Hat---and I thought I was the only one. My personal fave is Fox in Socks.