Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Another Letter

Dear A and O,

Today is the big day--the first day of your school career. Ah, the smell of freshly sharpened pencils, the shiny laminated bulletin board cut-outs, the new clothes. There's so much to love about the first day of school.

I hope you'll indulge your aunt and let her give you some advice. I went to kindergarten many years ago, but I still remember much of it as if it were yesterday. I hope you will be able to learn from my experiences and not repeat the same mistakes.

1) If your mother lets you take a tube of ChapStick to school, don't turn the dial so that the whole stick of ChapStick comes out of the tube. It will break off and you will have a mess on your hands that you will have to hide under your poncho.

2) Don't pull the chair out from under one of your tablemates as they are about to sit down. I know it's funny to watch this happen to someone, but it's not a very nice thing to do. Even if you don't get in trouble for it, that doesn't make it ok.

3) Beware of wearing sandals to school if you're going to be outside on the track. When the sandal strap breaks, it can be a real pain.

4) Don't stick your finger into a classmate's Afro hairdo to see how thick it is. Even if you think it's an innocent gesture, your teacher might not interpret it as such (I only know this from secondhand experience. When I was in kindergarten, I had more sense than to do something like this, but some people apparently didn't. Ask around your house and see if anyone 'fesses up to knowing about this incident).

5) Most of all--have fun. And go to the school library as often as you are able!

Fondly,

Auntie K

No comments: