Wherein Auntie K reveals (some of) what is on her mind.
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Birth of a Pretzel
Post-Formation
After Boiling
Fresh from the Oven
4 comments:
Anonymous
said...
I'm impressed! You give Rose Levy B. and Dorie Greenspan a run for their money. Did they taste as good as they looked? A picture is almost as good as a nibble, and far fewer calories. I made bagels once, many years ago, and I think the two items follow the same principle---boiled first and then baked. L.
Well, I don't know about giving aforesaid masters any competition, but thank you for the compliment! Yes, I think they taste very good. I was worried they hadn't risen enough, but then they continued to rise after I formed them, which is why they're so puffy. I also had great difficulty pulling each piece into a 20" long rope before forming, though the pieces I worked on last seemed to be bit less elastic than the pieces I did first, and thus worked a bit better. I have in mind to try bagels too, but think I'll try another few rounds of pretzels first.
So, you did industriously make pretzels--I'm impressed! And really, really tempted to try some myself...
I'd like one month to take off of work and everything else and make 1-3 things from "Good Eats" a day. Alex and I would, no doubt, gain 50 lbs. in the process--but it'd be such a happy fifty pounds! --starr
4 comments:
I'm impressed! You give Rose Levy B. and Dorie Greenspan a run for their money. Did they taste as good as they looked? A picture is almost as good as a nibble, and far fewer calories. I made bagels once, many years ago, and I think the two items follow the same principle---boiled first and then baked. L.
Well, I don't know about giving aforesaid masters any competition, but thank you for the compliment! Yes, I think they taste very good. I was worried they hadn't risen enough, but then they continued to rise after I formed them, which is why they're so puffy. I also had great difficulty pulling each piece into a 20" long rope before forming, though the pieces I worked on last seemed to be bit less elastic than the pieces I did first, and thus worked a bit better. I have in mind to try bagels too, but think I'll try another few rounds of pretzels first.
So, you did industriously make pretzels--I'm impressed! And really, really tempted to try some myself...
I'd like one month to take off of work and everything else and make 1-3 things from "Good Eats" a day. Alex and I would, no doubt, gain 50 lbs. in the process--but it'd be such a happy fifty pounds!
--starr
No sense in eating if it doesn't make you happy!
Post a Comment