
Photo Credit: Boys sitting at tables holding open books inside the Thomas Hughes Memorial Room at the Chicago Public Library. (1907). Chicago Daily News negatives collection, DN-0004751. Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society. Retrieved from Library of Congress, American Memory.
1 comment:
I always like these old pictures-this one looks like the lighting was gas-I suspect it was not very "eye friendly" at night. But, the most interesting thing about these old pictures is the dress. Everything is what we would call today "Sunday best", or something along that line. Suits for the men, dressy for the women. Except for the shoes. Most are boots and they all look messy, messy, messy. Of course that had to do with streets and sidewalks, or lack there of. How would you like to clean the floors in a place like that, or better yet, think of all the dust and loose dirt that would come into the library, not to mention the residue left by gas lights (having never lived with one, I assume there are no cleaner than gas stoves when it comes to leaving junk behind).
Post a Comment