In this morning's e-mail from the Chronicle of Higher Education, I received notice about a job opening:
"Librarian, University of the South Pacific (Finland) (date posted: 4/23/2007)"
Huh? What does the South Pacific have to do with Finland?
Here is the actual posting, and all I can figure is that some bright person or overzealous computer at the Chronicle of Higher Education managed to transpose Fiji into Finland. Good thing--I know I'm news-oblivious, but I think even I would have managed to hear about Finland taking over part of the South Pacific.
2 comments:
You see sporadic articles about people not knowing geography (I can still remember in the 5th grade having to draw maps of various parts of the world-if only those countries still existed that would have been valuable information). Is there any reason those writing, editing, or reviewing the Chronicle of Higher Education should know any more about geography than most? When teachers and schools send home notes and notices with students that would not pass muster in a college freshman (or is it freshperson--I am so out of touch these days) English writing class, should we expect Higher Education to do better?
Despite the PC'ness of today's world, we do seem to say "Freshman" a lot. Hmm. I guess "first year student" is the more correct term.
Post a Comment