I just read on Dallas Morning News that KZPS-FM (FM 92.5 in Dallas) is changing its format from classic rock to "Texas-inflected rock-country hybrid." They're also dumping traditional 30 or 60 second commercials in favor of advertiser-sponsored programming, where the DJ shills an advertiser's product in between songs for any given hour.
Glad I'm not there to have to listen to all that. Sorry, but trading Foreigner and Pink Floyd for Lynyrd Skynyrd is not my idea of trading up. Besides, if I did have a hankering for Lynyrd Skynyrd, that's what 93.3 the Bone is for.
2 comments:
Sorry, but I always considered Foreigner, formed in 1976, to be some 15-20 past "classic rock."
Well, anonymous, the definition is a bit fluid, isn't it? You bring up a point I think about often, however. As time marches on, what is old becomes even older. For example, will my (hypothetical at this point) children think of Simon & Garfunkel or early Beatles the same way I thought of someone like Glenn Miller when I was a child? I can't imagine anyone thinking The Beatles are "golden oldies," but I guess they will be to some generations.
Post a Comment