Friday, June 20, 2008

Passing the Test

How many of you have dreamed that you are taking a school exam for which you haven't studied? My variation usually is not only that I have haven't studied, but that I haven't been to class all semester and I'm not sure how to get to the classroom.

A few months ago I dreamed a new twist: as the instructor handed out the exam, he said the last student to turn it back in would not receive credit. So I made sure I was the next-to-last person to turn mine in.

Then, last night the scenario changed again. The instructor distributed the exam, answered some questions about procedure, and I turned to my friend behind me to say something because it seemed the instructor was still explaining. Apparently, the instructor was not still explaining things and the test had begun, even though she hadn't explicitly said so. She walked down the row, took both of our exams and said that for talking we would receive a zero the exam.

I don't know what my friend did, but I had a take-home exam for another class that was due soon, so I pulled that out and started working on it. Luckily, the dream always ends before I see my final grade in the class. I suspect it's not a very good grade.

photo: Chicago Daily News. (ca. 1904). [photo of a police officer sitting at a desk at the front of a classroom monitoring other policemen taking the sergeants exam in Chicago, Illinois]. Chicago Daily News negatives collection, Chicago Historical Society. DN-0000738. Retrieved from Library of Congress American Memory

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, don't you, that supposedly people who have those kind of school dreams (and I do even at my advanced age)are people who were successful in school, not the flunk-outs and losers. Doesn't that make us feel good? BTW, Auntie K, way to go with the almost daily posts. You are making it worthwhile to turn on my computer, since I am a reader who turns very first thing to see if Auntie has posted anything new. Keep up the good work--if you can.

Auntie K said...

oh--the pressure!!

Anonymous said...

Is this typical police work? The monitor is reading the latest issue of Playboy and the test takers are hiding the answers in their hats. Where is Homeland Security when you need them?