Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Am I Stunningly Out of Touch?

You probably know that I'm not particularly interested in either politics or talk show television. Today, however, a story about Michelle Obama on the The View caught my eye. Since I am under heavy obligation to produce regular posts, here's my two cents on the item.

Jennifer Parker, blogging at abcnews.com, writes that during a commercial break, Elisabeth Hasselbeck teared up while explaining to the audience she is about to leave her baby son for the first overnight trip since his birth. Then, in "a stunning demonstration of concern between two women of very different political views," Obama leaned over and appeared to whisper, "Everything OK?"

I am myself stunned that a simple of act of polite human kindness, inquiring after someone in visible distress, is worthy of the description "stunning demonstration." Two people with contradictory opinions can't act like decent humans without stunning us? I think they can, and I hope they will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I coldn't agree more! In case you haven't noticed, the press often labels what we would consider natural behavior, either of the moral kind or the human kindness type, as something extraordinary. It makes you wonder about the people behind the press, doesn't it?

Auntie K said...

yes, it does make you wonder about the people behind the press.

the duchess said...

Exactly. Demonizing people who disagree with you is not the answer--on either side. In my opinion the only way of destroying America is from within. While our politicians are busy finger-pointing our enemies are hard at work 1) laughing at us and 2) plotting how to destroy us all. Sorry, I'm bloviating again. ;o)