Thursday, September 13, 2007

Alike, Yet Different

Last week I passed a billboard advertising Best Buy's grand opening in Murfreesboro, which had occurred the week before. That started me thinking about me and my siblings. One sibling probably would have been at the grand opening, or at the least could have recited the advertised specials. I, however, had forgotten all about the grand opening.

One sibling would be interested in MTSU's Aerospace Department, one of the best of its kind in the country. He could probably tell you all about the airplanes in their fleet, including the Boeing 727, the Piper Super Cub, and the other 30+ planes they fly. I've probably ridden in a Boeing 727, but that's about as much as I could tell you about one.

One sibling knows off the top of her head that An American Tragedy was penned by Theodore Dreiser, and who Melvil Dewey was and why he's an important person. I doubt the other two siblings think about Melvil Dewey more than once or twice a decade.

On the other hand, all three of us have a keen appreciation of chocolate and at least some musical talent. We all have green eyes and brown hair. We are also all somewhat predisposed, with lack of defensive action, to being a bit (or more than a bit) overweight (welcome to the club, A2--nice to have you join us).

So, despite our differences, I'm happy to claim two siblings for my own. I fondly remember playing "lean" in the backseat of the car, sending packages (and stuffed animals) through the "mailbox," making up stories about Frank Fox's alter-ego, and going to the movies (relatively) early on a summer Saturday morning.

For those of you without siblings of your own, I can only hope you have some good cousins or siblings-in-law.

4 comments:

Adam said...

Thanks for the great post! I, too, am grateful to have you as one of my siblings.

And for the record, each day in the shower, I try to recite as much of the Dewey Decimal Classification system as I can.

Auntie K said...

And just how much of the DDC can you recite?

Starrlett said...

Hmmm... I wonder how much of LC I could recite.

Thanks for the lovely thoughts about siblings! I wasn't fortunate enough to have my own, but I practically lived with two great friends growing up, and now enjoy four great siblings-in-law.

And what the heck is "lean," anyway? Sounds fun!

Auntie K said...

In "lean," you scrunch up on one side of the back-seat as the car rounds a corner, crushing the person on the inside. Would probably be more fun with more than two people, but I think that's the most we ever played with. Oh dear, I'm probably forgetting my LC as I fill my brain with DDC info.