Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Here We Go A-Wassailing

No seminary tomorrow, so I'm in pre-holiday mode. It's 11:30 pm and I may or may not go to bed in the next 30 minutes. But either way, no worries.

Once I'm actually On Holiday (starting 10 pm Wednesday) I have plans to work on Baby J.'s Christmas stocking, putter around the apartment, and cook myself an all-carb Thanksgiving meal. The tentative menu includes Dressing, Refrigerator Rolls (I'll probably wimp out on those), and Cherry Pie. My mind is also full of various other treats, including caramels and White Christmas Cookies, but my plans are usually pie-in-the-sky while my energy is worthy of an earthworm, so I'm not promising anything. At a minimum, I'll have mashed sweet potatoes, because there's an ample supply of leftovers in the refrigerator.

To gear up for all that cooking, tonight I eased myself in by making wassail. Yum!

In honor of Thanksgiving, here are three things for which I'm grateful:

1. I'm descended from and related to skilled, interested, and shall I say, even intuitive, cooks. I'm not much of a cook myself, because as with many other skills, I enjoy reading about cooking more than I actually enjoy the act itself. Nonetheless, I am the grateful recipient of many wonderful meals, treats, recipes, and memories, and hardly a cake mix or can of store-bought frosting in the lot.

2. Despite my hypochondriacal tendencies and my current state of overweight, I am remarkably healthy and have always been so. This is a blessing of immense significance, more significant than I am sure I realize.

3. I have a soft, cozy blanket to curl up with every night. If my home were on fire, it's the one thing I would save.

No comments: