Wherein Auntie K reveals (some of) what is on her mind.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
46
Yes, my records show that I read 46 books in the past 12 months. No great record, but it is what it is. I suspect I won't be able to top it this year, but we'll see.
How'd you like the Stephenie Meyer books? I've also devoured the first two, and made myself wait for Eclipse until school's out for summer... this Friday!
And what about the Golden Compass? That and the Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell book have been on my "to read" list for years, but never picked them up.
Well, I thought the Meyer books were ok, but not the life-changing experiences some people have said they were, and not the waste of time some others have said. She hooked me enough to want to find out how they end--I read each of the first two in one sitting each. I've read a few chapters of Eclipse, but haven't picked it up in a while. Not sure if that answers your question...
Yes, I enjoyed The Golden Compass. Much better than the movie. I gather some readers are upset by Pullman's atheistic and/or anti-Catholic overtones, but I basically ignored all that stuff and enjoyed the story for itself. I started the sequel , The Subtle Knife, around Christmas time, but again, only read a few chapters and now it's languishing on the bedroom floor. I'll get back to it eventually.
Yes, I thought you'd probably ignore the anti-hype about Pullman. I'm interested in starting that at some point... but I've already got my box of summer reading started. I think if I add more, I won't finish anything else this summer but the reading... and I have big plans!
4 comments:
How'd you like the Stephenie Meyer books? I've also devoured the first two, and made myself wait for Eclipse until school's out for summer... this Friday!
And what about the Golden Compass? That and the Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell book have been on my "to read" list for years, but never picked them up.
Well, I thought the Meyer books were ok, but not the life-changing experiences some people have said they were, and not the waste of time some others have said. She hooked me enough to want to find out how they end--I read each of the first two in one sitting each. I've read a few chapters of Eclipse, but haven't picked it up in a while. Not sure if that answers your question...
Yes, I enjoyed The Golden Compass. Much better than the movie. I gather some readers are upset by Pullman's atheistic and/or anti-Catholic overtones, but I basically ignored all that stuff and enjoyed the story for itself. I started the sequel , The Subtle Knife, around Christmas time, but again, only read a few chapters and now it's languishing on the bedroom floor. I'll get back to it eventually.
Yes, I thought you'd probably ignore the anti-hype about Pullman. I'm interested in starting that at some point... but I've already got my box of summer reading started. I think if I add more, I won't finish anything else this summer but the reading... and I have big plans!
http://geekyartistlibrarian.pbwiki.com/Summer2008ProjectList
(Which, you'll notice, include learning how to dance to "Thriller" by Michael Jackson. I am nothing if not ambitious.)
Post a Comment