Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Out of the Frying Pan


I told a few of you that I was released from teaching adult Sunday School two weeks ago. Well, it appears that starting next Monday at 6:15 am, I'll be teaching seminary*. Yes, you read correctly. Seminary.

Considering the huge struggle it was to drag myself out of bed and to work by 8:45 this morning, I think I have a big challenge ahead. My parents, when not feeling sorry for me, should feel a slight tinge of satisfaction remembering the 4 years of dragging me out of bed to attend seminary and knowing that it is now coming back to haunt me.

*Seminary is a Latter-day Saint program of weekday religious instruction for youth ages 14-18. Here, the class meets Mon-Fri, 6:15 to 7:15 am. This year's course of study is the Old Testament. In parts of the country with large LDS populations (Utah, Arizona, etc.), students can take seminary as an elective during the school day and are taught by full-time Church Education System instructors. In other places in the United States and around the world, the instructors are volunteers and Seminary class is held before school.


Photo: Chicago Daily News, Inc., photographer. (ca. 1917). Naval reservist, sleeping in a hammock, on the Commodore, a training ship. Chicago Daily News negatives collection, DN-0067875. Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society. Available from Library of Congress American Memory http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/
cdn:@field(NUMBER+@band(ichicdn+n067875))

3 comments:

the duchess said...

Gulp. Wow. You're a better woman than me. It's at that moment I'd start to question my testimony. Just kidding, but really! Wishing you all best with your new calling. Better you than me...

Anonymous said...

I'm envous beyond words! Waking up that early in the morning is a drag, and then there are the hours of preparation, but the rewards are worth every minute. I taught 30 years ago and it's still my all-time favorite church calling. Enjoy every day of it.
L.

Auntie K said...

The photo is of someone sleeping, and I thought it fit when I wrote the post, but upon reflection, the link might be too tenuous.