Friday, February 02, 2007

Details

OK, first of all--no photos. I did think about taking my camera, but I figured I had enough to worry about without adding the camera. Those of you who were so kind as to speak to me on Sunday as I drove to the airport, at which time I was so nervous I was about to cry, will understand why the camera would have been too much.

Travel: Left the house only 20 minutes after I planned, with one checked bag, one carry on tote from Target, and a suitbag. Arrived with no problem, and even had time to spend a few minutes before my flight riding Skylink, reminiscing about old times at my former job. During the flight (AA), I listened to Black on my (relatively) new mp3 player, did a bit of the crossword, and read a professional book for my presentation. Had to wait about 45 minutes for the shuttle to pick me up at the airport (where it was 30 degrees F on Sunday), but that worked out fine. And none of my fears about lost luggage came to pass, thank goodness. Shared the shuttle with a couple returning from a two week Caribbean cruise. They were still wearing their cruise clothes and were very cold.

Sunday Evening: Checked in at the Doubletree hotel at 4:45, where the desk clerk told me Bill Black had just called to say he would pick me up Monday morning at 7:45. She handed me a warm (delicious oatmeal chocolate chip) cookie, and I was off to my room. After fooling around a bit, ironing my trench coat (yes, ironing my trench coat), and unstapling and stapling all my presentation handouts, I called a taxi to take me to the library. Incidentally, the Doubletree is across the street from Target. (Alas, the closest SuperTarget is 85.6 miles away, in another state).

Sunday Night Reconnaissance:
The library has a snackbar featuring Starbucks coffee, study carrels, a vending machine with headache remedies, and a popular magazine rack just inside the entrance. This area stays open until 2 am, two hours after the library closes. Only bottled water is allowed inside the library proper. The library itself is 8 years old, and is quite nice--open lobby with views to the three floors above, carpeting everywhere except the lobby, many soft chairs and nice wood study tables, and art on the walls. I walked around, admiring the 300 available computers, and then wandered past the reference desk, where the librarian properly asked if I needed help. I said "No, just looking," and then, recognizing her as the reference team leader from her nametag, went ahead and introduced myself. Sharon replied, "I wondered if I would see you tonight--I have your resume right here in front of me." She got an assistant to (wo)man the desk, and spent about 25 minutes walking me through some of the library and showing me the room in which I would present the next day. She was quite congenial, and asked where I wanted to go to lunch the next day. After we parted, I checked out the current library budget from the reserves desk, so I could peruse current librarian salaries. They seem quite generous, considering what I'm used to seeing at UNT.


to be continued . . .