If you read this blog at Blogger rather than through a feed, you may have noticed my Goodreads "currently reading" shelf in the sidebar. See how leanly stocked it is these days? I'm listing only three books as being currently read, quite a reduction of the nine or ten titles that languished on that list for months, or even years in some cases.
No, I didn't suddenly finish all the books I started reading two years ago (that's how long Little Dorrit has been on that shelf). After agonizing for months about the sheer messiness of it all, the light bulb came on and I realized the solution was another shelf--"read most of it"--which allowed me to move titles like Stiff and The Book Thief, books I didn't read 100% of but I don't intend to go back to. I then quickly purged the "currently reading shelf," sending things to the new "read most of it" shelf or to the existing "may finish someday" shelf if I had read only a third of the book or less.
I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my life and am glad my "currently reading shelf" now honestly reflects my book-reading activity (magazines, blogs, catalogs, knitting books, cookbooks and cereal boxes are another matter altogether).
As for Little Dorrit, I renewed my attentions to it about two weeks ago, and I'm nearly finished. Maybe this is a sign that I'm mature enough to tackle Bleak House and David Copperfield for real this time around.
1 comment:
Speaking of Dickens, did you see the new Masterpiece of Great Expectations Sunday with Gillian Anderson? Grown Pip looks like a dreamy European supermodel.
Post a Comment