Sunday, July 12, 2009

Burned Again

Despite Vermont Country Store, Cracker Barrel Old Country Store and other purveyors of nostalgic products, you really can't go home again. I already knew that. After all, Storybook Land is no more.

But I have fond memories of playing Disney 45's and reading along to stories of Johnny Appleseed, The Grasshopper and the Ants, Rapunzel, and the Gingerbread Man, turning the page when Tinkerbell shook her wings. Anticipating a visit with the younger set, I went online and ordered some modern Disney Read Alongs. The Instant Classics set--Lilo & Stitch, Chicken Little, and Brother Bear, arrived this week.

It was enough to make a (near middle aged) woman cry. I don't have the heart to listen to the cd, but I read the books, and they were awful. I didn't know that Stitch is an alien, and that the Chicken Little plot involves exposed underwear and more aliens. And Brother Bear? Don't get me started on that one.

The books are long, with many big words and convoluted, ridiculous plots that jump around and make no sense. What on earth was I thinking? I wouldn't give these books to a child of any age, much less a 4 or 5 year old. My first mistake, of course, was that I have never seen any of the movies, and the text of each book is, I believe, straight from the movie, complete with original cast member voicing.

I'm still holding out a bit of hope for the Princess Collection--Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. After all, I've at least seen those movies. Or am I just burying my head in the sand?

No comments: