Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Un-Coordination


Last week I was dismayed to realize my electric company payment was overdue. I am very careful about paying bills and thought the bill in question must not have been delivered. I hurried to pay online, incurring a small surcharge to do so.

Yesterday I discovered that I did indeed receive and pay that bill. However, I paid the water company instead of the electric company. You would think the two could get together and figure all of this out.

(To compound the situation, I paid against a closed water account, so now I have to figure out how to get my money back).

Photo: Nesmith. (ca. 1930-1935). Girl using adding machine [photograph]. Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, FSA-OWI Collection. Courtesy American Memory http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/fsaall:@field(NUMBER+@band(fsa+8e03129))

4 comments:

Amy said...

The water company deposited the check when there was no account to go with it? Weird.

Anonymous said...

You know how governments work: What is mine is mine, yours is mine, and anything else I can get is mine.

The most disturbing part is the picture. Looks like the budget office I ran in Atlanta in the early 70's, staffed almost exclusively by women who had been working since the late 30's and early 40's. While the electronic machines were not yet readily available, nor anywhere as sophisticated as they are now, these folks stuck to the old equipment like chewing gum to the sidewalk. Eventually the repair people refused to fix them because they had been making parts by hand for years and it was not worth their time.

Auntie K said...

Amy, it was the account for my former apartment, so I assume it's still "open" even if not active. I paid online and must have chosen the wrong payee when I sent the payment. I haven't worked up the courage to telephone them yet.

the duchess said...

I hope you didn't find out with darkness.