Sunday, December 21, 2008

Postum, We're Glad We Knew You

I didn't comment on Postum's demise back when L. alerted me to it, but thought I would do so now. I have drunk Postum off and on over the years, more on in the past year or so, after finally perfecting my preparation technique. Postum always makes me think of my grandfather, who drank it perfectly black, if memory serves, in a particular mug that I remember clearly.

I've tried Postum black, since it seems like the adult way to drink it, and with sugar and lemon it's not bad. Turns out, however, I like it best made with 90% milk, which negates all the bitterness. With Hot Shot and microwave, it's a snap to make, and to my mind, preferable to hot chocolate (sorry Mom!).

When I heard Kraft stopped making Postum, I bought up every jar I could find in town, so I still have a small supply. If I become desperate for money I can sell them on eBay, where a jar goes for $35-$65.

Once my supply is gone, I guess I'll have to try other alternatives: Pero, Cafix, Roma, etc. Anyone have any experience with any of those? I'm not really looking for coffee taste, just Postum taste.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is how I grew up with Postum and if you knew my maternal figure, you'd know that this is the Right Way. Mix some Postum powder with brown sugar in the mug. (I loved to eat the powdery mix, but that's our secret, OK?) Pour in boiling water and top off with canned evaporated milk. Don't knock it til you've tried it. I still have about 3/4 of a jar. Maybe I'll go break open a can of evap.
L.

the duchess said...

I didn't know they stopped making it. My Grandma will be so sad.

Jen said...

So sad. It makes me wish I had had more of it when I could have. My mom drinks Roma off and on and I think it's pretty good if you put enough milk or cream in it and sugar of course (like all things). The last time I was at Whole Foods I didn't see that they had Roma where it usually is. I wonder if that is being fazed out also.