It's been a frustrating few weeks, which has been a good excuse for not posting (I couldn't think of anything nice to say). I still can't, so I'm hoping my readers will indulge me and just let me vent for a minute.
So, here are some of my pet peeves:
People who put a partial ream of paper into the printer and leave the opened ream sitting on the counter. The printer will hold a ream plus some. So wait till it's almost empty, and PUT THE ENTIRE REAM IN AT ONCE! Please.
People who retype a document in order to transfer it to another medium, rather than cutting and pasting from the electronic copy I provided, and then have me correct the multiple errors they create by typing from scratch. I SENT YOU AN E-COPY BECAUSE IT LOOKED JUST THE WAY I WANTED IT TO LOOK!
Thank you for letting me shout at you. I feel much better. Feel free to share your peeves here, and even if I'm guilty of committing some of them myself, I promise to be nice about it!
4 comments:
I'm so there with ya. I've got several but I'll only drop one for kicks: brown-nosers who know and do nothing but are the first to complain and toot their own horn. UGH.
Oh thank you, how did you know I needed this?? I almost screamed yesterday, and there was no one to hear me. So here goes...
If you're non-graphics-oriented enough to use MS Publisher (aka Pile of Junk), don't ask me for help just because I'm to default go-to person for graphics in the entire library!
1) I don't use that Pile of Junk and have no idea how to fix your problem.
2) If you're going to ask me to change a color in it, tell me what the color is. Seriously--I have no idea, and I can't read your mind.
3) It's not remotely my fault that my image displays with a square around it in Publisher. That square doesn't exist in the image itself. That is Publisher, proving it is a huge Pile of Junk. So fix it yourself.
4) Don't complain to me that the green I used in the logo is too "bright" for your tastes, and you'd rather change it to a muted green. You know why I use that color? Because it is the gosh-darned University-approved color. Down to the last hexidecimal code.
5) Don't email me your random silly graphics issues when a) I'm insanely busy with my real job, and b) you're not even my own student assistant.
Granted, it wasn't this person's fault that they emailed me for help--the student was directed to me from someone else. But I hate Publisher (gee, could you tell?) and I am getting real tired of getting un-asked for, urgent graphics issues when I can't get to my real work half the time as it is.
Dangit.
Guess I struck a nerve! But I'm happy to give you a safe place to share your own peeves.
Oh Boy! (or Girl!) Do not get me started, although I will mention I have never liked "kids" in lieu of "children." Somewhere in a mostly formal group of bios about three or four people I was reading a few weeks ago, they even used "kids" as the title of the section that listed offspring. But as they say, my list is as long as your arm. So, I'll simply fade away and stew in silence.
If you read the comic strip Pearls Before Swine, you know about a part-time character called the guard duck. Likes to burn things down with a flame thrower (he told the owner of the house he was guarding in a strip the day after Halloween that he had taken care of a group of robbers who approached the house the evening before wearing masks and carrying sacks-all the while holding a smoking flame thrower). I could point the guard duck at a couple of thousand people, places and things.
Post a Comment