If you're considering trying Cook's Illustrated chewy oatmeal cookie recipe, don't. I already tried it, and they were inedible. Why on earth did I not stick with the tried and true recipe, proven many times over by multiple women in my family?
The Cook's Illustrated recipe uses baking powder and lots of sugar, which is supposed to make the cookies crunchy (the sugar is, not the baking powder). I should have known that 1 C of brown sugar and 1 C granulated sugar would be too much. The cookies were so sweet that I couldn't eat them, and the sugar completely overpowered the oatmeal. I had never met a cookie that had too much sugar. And now I have.
Sadly, the rest of the dough is still in the bowl on the counter, and the last sheet of cookies is still languishing in the oven. Guess what I'm doing when I get home!

No comments:
Post a Comment