Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Life of a Librarian

I don't have much to report, but figured I ought to say something! Over the weekend I went south for a last visit with Curly and Sweetpea, who are both just as adorable as ever. Alas, I forgot to take my camera, so you'll just have to take my word on the adorable part.

Work progresses well, if quietly. I have a few projects to work on, and I'm working about 25 hours a week, so I'm happy.

Progress on the move is non-existent. Still no contract in my mailbox, and I'm burying my head in the sand about packing and moving. If you know the way I live and the amount of Stuff I have, you understand my reaction.

On a happy note, I happened across a fabulous find last week while browsing for an audiobook at the Plano library. On a whim, I picked up The Pale Blue Eye just because the cover looked good and it was billed as a mystery. Well, it turned out to be top rate. Audiobooks can be tricky, because the performer can ruin or redeem a great or lousy book. In this case, it was a perfect match. I often have difficulty listening to male performers in the car because their voices are so low that they are hard to hear clearly. Not so here. The mystery is set at West Point in 1830, and features Edgar A. Poe as a young cadet enlisted to help a retired New York City constable investigate the suicide and subsequent mutilation of another cadet. Despite the old-fashioned setting, the performer sounds straight out of the 21st century, and it's a nice fit. The story and writing are also top notch, and I recommend it to any mystery lovers in the audience. It's one of those books that has an unforeseen twist at the end, and for once, the twist actually works.

No comments: