Well, not really. Actually, it was pretty cool to walk around to places on campus today and tell the counter attendants I am a new faculty member. But driving and walking around campus this morning, lost most of the time, I felt like a freshman. Only being a freshman with a car is even worse, because that opens up whole new vistas of lost-dom.
I was carrying so many things with me today that I didn't take my camera, so pics will have to wait. As for the agenda, I didn't get to most of what I said I would. No PO box, no pedicure, and I haven't ironed a thing yet. But, I do have a parking tag, an ID card that will unlock the back door of the library, and 3 pounds of benefits literature to read and decide upon by Tuesday.
I went by the library today and dropped off my two boxes of "office stuff." I'm to report Monday at 8 am. I think that I will be working 8 to 4:30, with an hour lunch. Ha ha. I'll probably only be able to keep that schedule for a week, until I have too much to do (and of course, I'll have desk duty on nights and weekends sometimes). To answer previous questions, I earn two vacation days a month and one sick day a month.
When I got done on campus I drove north of town for a bit, looking at all the older ranch style homes in which I probably can't afford to live. I did see a few rentals, but until I figure out my benefits and know what I'll be taking home paywise, I'm reluctant to get my heart set on anything. And of course, the big dilemma is deciding how far from campus I want to live and am willing to drive. Particularly if I get an apartment, I don't want to be too close. But I do sometimes dream of my days in prisontown, when I was 10 minutes from work.
No comments:
Post a Comment