Many of life’s failures occur when people who don't realize how close they are to success give up instead of hanging on just a bit longer.Have you seen this happen in your own life?
Here are two recent (and perhaps trivial) examples in my own life. In the past few months I've struggled with an icky scalp thing (psoriasis?) that caused no end of itching and with way more acne than I should have to deal with at my age. I realized this week that seemingly overnight, both problems are 90% improved. I'm not sure if I finally found the right approach or if the things I did for several months just took time to work, but I'm happy either way. Already, the frustration has faded and I don't think I even remember it accurately.
On a more serious note, I've been pretty low for several months. After weeks of trying to change my perspective on a situation, I finally hit on an idea that seemed like it might stick. A few days later, something happened that I feel reinforced the soundness of my idea. In this case, the memory of how I felt hasn't faded, but I do find myself wondering why I thought things were so bad. And I'm glad that the idea came before the reinforcing event, instead of the other way around.
It's usually possible to hang on for just a bit longer. And maybe that's all we need, in most cases. Even if we have to keep committing to that "bit" over and over, success is probably right around the corner.
1 comment:
Yes, I have also found this to be true. However, the converse seems to reappear as well. "Tomorrow will be better..." and it's not. Lather, rinse, repeat. Just part of the refiner's fire, I suppose.
Post a Comment