It was fun to see so many boys sporting back-to-school haircuts yesterday at Church. Primary was particularly challenging yesterday, partly because our half of the building had no air conditioning. Another factor was the presence of so many talkers in my class--everyone wants to tell a story about nearly everything we mention, whether its relevant or not.
Yesterday, however, C and E broke all previous records for crazy behavior, constantly messing with each other, skipping around the room, talking to each other, etc. When they both hid behind the table folded against the wall during the closing prayer, I pulled them out and took them in the hall while the others finished the prayer. C is 5 and about to start kindergarten. E is 6 and starting first grade.
After, the three of us talked about what might help them be more reverent and respectful in class, and it was obvious C felt bad about her behavior. I'm not sure E realized there was anything unacceptable about her behavior, but I can only tackle so many things at once. E said that singing an activity song before class would only give her more energy, but C said that she might feel better if we sing a quiet song. C is going to bring her Dad to class next week (her idea), and we'll try the reverence song.
Our class meets right after Sacrament Meeting at 10:15, and we take a water and bathroom break before class starts and let everyone share some news. We sometimes have pretzels or cheese sticks as a treat. I haven't kept track of whether treats affect behavior. But, I welcome any suggestions from my more experienced readers. Any ideas?
4 comments:
I'm still very green at this and have found our Share time helpful for focusing their endless stories during the lesson. Yesterday there were no chairs set up in our classroom so I let them sit on the floor. Probably won't happen again. And our building has a strict no food policy but the kids beg for a snack every week. Then when I cave they ask for two of whatever I bring. Being a no-fun hard nose is just easier. Last week they told me that it seemed like I wore the same thing every week. Ah, the joys.
From what you say on your blog, d, I thought your class was perfect (lol)! We do a lot of sitting on the floor also, though not by design. I'm surprised my class hasn't picked up on the fact that I wear the same two skirts all the time. They do notice, however, if I shed my glasses.
Is it an option to hold class outdoors? Maybe as a reward?
I've gone outside only rarely, but those classes always seemed to go well. I hope you have a better draft come January.
L.
Spiked Cookies? Mello!
Post a Comment