Wherein Auntie K reveals (some of) what is on her mind.
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Auntie K Meets with Failure
Anise Candy recipe in Homemade Candy, by the food editors of Farm Journal, 1970
Several things went wrong, but the final blow was that the candy refused to come out of the pan. So, the pan of candy is now soaking in hot water and I'm waiting for my pound of REAL anise candy to arrive in the mail.
Yes, tastes like black licorice, my second favorite candy flavor next to marzipan (if you don't count chocolate. Chocolate and marzipan are too close to call, and both life essentials in my book). I used oil of anise and red food paste. I was afraid of stirring everything too much and hence didn't get the food paste thoroughly distributed. I also didn't use enough, so I ended up with light red streaky candy, instead of a dark, clear red. About the only thing the whole experience was worth was to convince me to not try again and it made the kitchen/living room smell like licorice for 5 days.
2 comments:
Wow. Is it supposed to be that color? Does it taste like black licorice?
Yes, tastes like black licorice, my second favorite candy flavor next to marzipan (if you don't count chocolate. Chocolate and marzipan are too close to call, and both life essentials in my book). I used oil of anise and red food paste. I was afraid of stirring everything too much and hence didn't get the food paste thoroughly distributed. I also didn't use enough, so I ended up with light red streaky candy, instead of a dark, clear red. About the only thing the whole experience was worth was to convince me to not try again and it made the kitchen/living room smell like licorice for 5 days.
Post a Comment