Sunday, September 20, 2009

New Family Member Contributes to Household

Tennessee -- A new member of Auntie K's household has already made a significant contribution to the family after only one week in residence. Sourpuss, a fresh sourdough starter descended from New England ancestors, arrived via UPS last week. Auntie K says that after an initial feeding, Sourpuss, SP for short, immediately found its place in the family, contentedly nestling in its own refrigerator crock.

Yesterday, a week after its arrival, SP contributed to two loaves of bread and a batch of pancakes. Auntie, a breadbaking tyro, thinks the bread turned out fairly well. The pancakes, she said, were a bit too sour, but Auntie attributes that to the "overnight sponge that really was more of an 18-hour sponge."

In other news, Auntie K sustained a small scare Saturday when she slipped on a wet paving stone in the backyard. Thoughts of wrenched backs and broken wrists flitted through her head as she plummeted to the ground, backside first. Fortunately, a few bruises turned out to be the extent of Auntie's injuries.

5 comments:

Jason said...

No injuries please. You are not allowed to back out of the trip to Georgia.

Anonymous said...

The bread must have been very, very good, considering how we didn't see any of it here in the office.

-- Amy

Auntie K said...

Amy, more like weird looking and not office-worthy, not necessarily very very good. I'm not sure I know how it was supposed to turn out. I've been eating one loaf and the other is in the freezer. When I perfect things a bit, I'll bring some to share.

Anonymous said...

Does this mean I have a Sour Puss for a grandchild?
M

Auntie K said...

M, I suppose there were times when you thought you had a Sour Puss for a child, much less a grandchild.