Monday, October 06, 2008

Heartstopping

Longtime readers may remember my girlhood habit of leaving my library card in the stacks when I was browsing for library books. Old habits, apparently, die hard.

Friday evening I was at work after we closed, trying to finish up some things for Monday morning so I didn't have to go in on Saturday. Part of my work involved a trip down to Reference to look at some encyclopedias. So, I armed myself with paper, pencil, flashlight, and keys (they turn off some of the lights at closing and the Reference shelves can be pretty dark). I went downstairs, did what I needed to do, and was ready to head back up to the office when I realized the keys weren't in my pocket.

Without keys, I had no way back into our office area or into my very office, wherein lay my car keys and ID to exit the building. For a second or two, I imagined how I could pass the night in the library until someone came to open up at 8am (I was going to find a novel and pass the time reading and sleeping. and being hungry). Then, I thought to backtrack through the Reference shelves, because I was CERTAIN I had checked my pocket for keys before I went downstairs.

Sure enough, the keys were on a shelf where I had stopped, and I was able to get back into my office and safely exit the building.

Sorry to say that's the most exciting item to report right now, but it is. Welcome to my world!

No comments: