Friday, September 05, 2008

Anti-Awesome

My weekend trip was very good, and I loved seeing three of my nieces. More about that later, perhaps. The week back at work was particularly tough, filled with four very long days, and I'm looking at more work over the weekend. :-(

So, this post will only be a short rant against Mozilla. Please ignore me if you have no interest in Firefox (or think it's only the name of a movie).

The Firefox 3 location bar is, imho, decidedly anti-awesome. In what world is my bookmark for a government Web site about raw fruits and vegetables relevant to my action of typing www into the location bar? It's not relevant in my world, and I don't want to see it cluttering up my computer screen, along with all my other bookmarked sites that have some vague connection to the letter w.

If I want to search for a site containing a "w" I'm going to use the handy search engine box next to the location bar. Call me old-fashioned, but I liked my plain-jane location bar, and I didn't start typing in it unless I knew the URL I wanted.

Trust me, I'll either be trying a fix or returning this upgrade to the sender.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't mind the new search/address bar, but I do mind the memory usage when Firefox 3 starts up. This was a major issue in Firefox 2, which is supposedly fixed in version 3, but not everyone has brand new, powerhouse computers when tons of system memory to devote to Firefox when it starts up. Just another rant...

Jen said...

No thoughts on Firefox. I never use it because I can't even figure out how to open more than one window in it. I'm glad that you had fun on your trip. Can't wait to hear more.