Friday, August 01, 2008

Holiday Food Again


Another stop on the holiday rounds was Pirate O's, a gourmet grocery store in Draper. I passed up the candy g-string, but came out with a Ritter Sport Dark Chocolate Mousse bar (never seen that flavor before), some Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce, a Mozartkugel ball, some Botan rice candy, and a Lindor Hazelnut truffle (should have gone for two Mozartkugel's instead). I also bought what I seem to remember was a Schluckwerder marzipan loaf, for some odd reason having decided I didn't want to pay for my favorite brand, Niederegger. Not sure why I was taken with such an odd spasm of frugality, but I was.


The best part of Pirate-O's, however, was actually not the candy but the meat and cheese locker. All the cold beverages, meats and cheeses are in a separate freezer room, separated from the rest of the store by a strip curtain door. I could live in a room like that! The comfy temp seduced me into picking up a bottle of Izze Sparkling Grapefruit, but I again decided I didn't want to pay that much money, and took another trip back into the cooler to return the drink to the shelf.




*I know this post sounds terribly snobbish, but the fact is that I take my food confectionery seriously. Lest you think I'm an elitist, you should know that I consumed an Idaho Spud (from Maceys grocery) while writing this post.

2 comments:

the duchess said...

Lucky. Cadbury has some great chocolates. Their Crunchie bar is one of my favs. At Christmas my Auntie in Brisbane always sends a box filled with different miniature Cadbury lollies. Mmmm. I can get a few at World Market but they're ridiculously expensive.

Auntie K said...

You know, I've always thought I don't like Cadbury, but I probably have never tried anything except the American version, which I know is not the same. I think I need to fix that. Yes, I can get some of my favorites at World Market too. If I want to pay.