Friday, August 08, 2008

Easily Persuaded

It turns out that I needed the print copy of my latest audiobook, The Distant Echo, for more than just the fact that one cd has some unplayable tracks. The story is set in Scotland, and the narrator reads with such a heavy Scot accent that many placenames and proper nouns are undecipherable to my ear. So it's nice to have the print copy to refer to. The danger, however, is that when I look up a passage, I'm tempted to keep reading beyond the point to which I've listened.

Since I've been listening, however, I've started talking to myself with a Scottish affect, saying such things as "Where are me keys?" This is not a new phenomenon. When I listened to The Last Town on Earth, a story set during the 1918 influenza epidemic, I started with a bit of fear whenever someone near me coughed. During the epidemic, that could have been a deadly sound.

I think I had better not read something like How to Commit the Perfect Murder. Who knows where I would end up!

No comments: