I love* my public library, but three trips in one day is a bit much, even for me. Here's how it went down:
I stopped at lunch time to pick up a hold (Blue Balliett's The Calder Game), and at the same time returned two audiobooks (visit 1). Then I motored on down the street to UPS and the post office, where I opened another book in the car and discovered one of the discs from a book I had just returned.
So, after the post office I headed back to the library for visit 2 to return the errant disc. While there, I decided to ditch the J.A. Jance I was listening to (terrible narrator, stiff writing and boring story) in favor of another Val McDermid.
However, while later ripping the cd to put on my mp3 player, I found that half of disc 3 is unplayable, thus necessitating visit 3 to pick up the print copy (we don't have it at work).
I really can't complain much, however, since on all 3 visits I managed to snag a precious spot in the curbside 30 min parking, rather than having to venture into the dreaded parking garage (had to go around the block once on visit 3 to wait for a spot to open).
BTW, I finished 8 books in July, the most in a month since I started keeping track again last year. It helped that two of them were short YA's and one was Eclipse, which I started a long time ago. But still...
*Well ok, I love the idea of a PL. My feelings for my current PL are firmly in the "like" zone.
6 comments:
Funny you should blog about this. I need to vent my frustrations on this very topic. I've checked out several DVDs from my public library this summer (The Grand Hotel, Bleak House, The Way We Live Now to name a few) that have been damaged ranging from a minor inconvenience to totally useless. I suppose this is the risk we run however it's disappointing all the same.
What did you think of the Tale of Desperaux? I thought I'd love it--a mouse, a princess, great illustrations--but somehow I disliked it enough that after reading the hardback I bought, I sold it to Half-Price. I'm still not really sure why I disliked it so much.
Our student assistants have already read "Breaking Dawn" but since I pre-ordered mine from Amazon, it's not here yet (due to be delivered tomorrow, not that I have time to read it for a week anyway). Sigh. I read "The Host" last week and loved it, though.
And hey--thanks so so much for the card! It made me laugh walking from the reference desk.
Oh - I hope Bleak House wasn't the unwatchable one. Wasn't it good?
I guess I thought Tale of D. was ok. A little harsh for me, I think. I remember liking a few lines a lot, though now I don't remember what they were. It's not one I need to own.
Not sure when or if I'll get to The Host. I'll probably read Breaking Dawn, but there too, I'm in no hurry (I know--nearly a blasphemous statement. Please, certain readers, forgive me.).
What happened was my Aunt bought the DVD set and we started watching it while my family was here visiting. However, it's around 7 hours total so we only got through about the first third. She went out of town and in the meantime it became available at the library so attempted to to finish watching it. "Attempted" is the key word. After such an investment of time and cinematic suspense we couldn't wait to see the dramatic conclusion. There were several scenes we had to just skip altogether. I hate that.
Post a Comment