Monday, June 04, 2007

Culinary Successes

I finally managed to make real food in my new kitchen--english muffin batter bread and cream of broccoli soup.

Both turned out rather well, if I do say so myself. The bread has a few cosmetic problems, but it tastes fine and makes for a fine piece of toast when topped with the strawberry freezer jam I made last week. You can see a picture of the bread, and a short description of the bread itself, at the Bakingsheet blog (now known as Baking Bites). *

The soup recipe comes from Julia Child's The Way to Cook, and uses a base of pureed rice and onions, rather than the traditional roux, to achieve the cream part of the soup. More work, but hopefully less fat.



*More info for those interested: I used the original King Arthur Flour recipe that is in turn adapted in Bakingsheet. The only thing I can see that she adapted is to change one cup of milk for one cup of water. She also says to heat the liquid to 110 degrees. I thought that wasn't warm enough if you had mixed the yeast into the rest of the dry ingredients before adding any liquid. Anyway, I followed the original recipe and was perfectly happy.

1 comment:

Starrlett said...

Sounds both yummy and fun!