Monday, June 11, 2007

What I'm Reading

More Appropriate Post Title: What I Would Be Reading if I Had the Time


The Rap Sheet - a blog about crime fiction. Yum! One brief comment: I noticed in a June 7 post that the Crime Writers of Canada recently named their picks for the best Canadian crime writing of 2006. Kathy Reichs' Break No Bones was a candidate for best novel. Now, I like Reichs just fine, but her writing is fairly formulaic, and I wouldn't put her in any of my "best" lists. The Christian Science Monitor's list of best mysteries and thrillers of 2006 is more to my liking. It includes Summer Snow by Rebecca Pawel, a young historical crime writer, and The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard. Both unique, thoughtful mysteries with sound plotting and great writing.

barbara fister's place
- a blog by an instruction librarian who reads and writes crime fiction. I frequently see Fister's comments on the listervs I read, and I agree with her student-centered, practical opinions about many issues. Her blog is a nice mix of library-related stories, fun Web finds, and of course, crime fiction. It's perhaps what my professional blog might be like if I were more dedicated and creative. Alas...

(yes the lack of a link to my professional blog is a deliberate omission)

photo credit: Eisters, Gerhard. (ca. 1910-1016). Photograph of Clara Louise Thompson. In Women of Protest: Photographs from the Records of the National Woman's Party, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Retrieved June 11, 2007, from American Memory.

No comments: