Thursday, May 17, 2007

Day One - Utah Library Association

Non Library-Related Highlight of the Day: Finding an-out-of-the-way Ladies Restroom that isn't mobbed after every session

Conference Related Letdown: Lest I forget, I was rudely reminded that I am no longer in Texas. This conference had 447 pre-registrants, a great number for them. The keynote addresss was delivered in a rather small hotel ballroom (no lights, music, etc). There are approximately 30 exhibiting vendors. By comparison, Texas Library Association conference has thousands of attendees and hundreds of vendors. OTH, they have "free" cookies in the exhibit hall here.

Personal Health Status: I forgot, until Mom reminded me, that the altitude adjustment can be a bear. I've had a hideous headache since I got here 24 hours ago.

Reminder About Why I Love being a Librarian: The keynote speaker, Rivkah Sass--Library Journal's Librarian of the Year for 2006. Smart, articulate, funny, and passionate about libraries and librarians' obligation to making libraries usable, useful places.

No comments: